Pictured: Liz Gold, Registered Dietitian at The Block Center preparing the soup
- Mirepoix (1 cup diced onion, 1/2 cup diced celery, 1/2 cup diced carrots)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 12oz. can dice fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 2 Cups of various veggies you have in your fridge (zucchini, yellow squash, and snow peas are all great choices)
- 1 Tbsp Red Curry Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 12oz. can of beans of your choice (we like garbanzo)
- 2 cups lightly chopped kale and spinach
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Heat a dutch oven over medium heat. Add olive oil.
- Sauté the Mirepoix until onions are tender and translucent.
- Add all other veggies (except spinach and kale) and sauté until somewhat tender.
- Add diced tomatoes.
- Add the curry powder and nutmeg.
- Pour in stock. Increase heat to medium. Bring the soup to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- When soup has reached a simmer, add beans.
- Allow soup to simmer until veggies are tender about 10-20 minutes. Add kale and spinach and simmer soup a minute or two longer to wilt them.
- Stir in cilantro, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning.