• 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight or 3 hours in hot water
• ½ cup water
• 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
• 2 tablespoons avocado oil
• 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
• 2 celery stalks, chopped
• ¼ teaspoon black pepper
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 8 cups broccoli florets
• 1/3 cup roughly chopped fresh Italian parsley
• 4-6 cups vegetable broth
• 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
1. First make the cashew cream. Drain the cashews and transfer to a blender. Add ½ cup water and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Blend until very smooth, which may take a few minutes on high speed. Transfer to a small bowl.
2. Heat avocado oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and celery and sauté until softened, about 7 minutes. Add ½ teaspoon salt, pepper, and garlic, and sauté another minute. Add the broccoli, parsley, and 5 cups vegetable broth and bring to a simmer. Cook until the broccoli is very tender, about 8 minutes.
3. Let cool a few minutes so that its not steaming and very carefully transfer to a blender, working in batches. Don’t fill the blender more than half-way up. Add 4 tablespoons of cashew cream and the nutritional yeast. Remove the center of the blender cap and cover the hole with a dish towel. This helps some steam escape. Carefully blend the soup until it’s pureed. Serve straight from the blender or add back to the pot to keep warm.
4. Serve creamy broccoli soup with more cashew cream